This column highlights some of the more notable recent online notices, newsletters, and blogs dealing with IP prosecution issues.
IPWatchdog – a patents and patent law blog – IPwatchdog.com.
* In a post on February 10, 2018, Gene Quinn detailed how and why to avoid making admissions as to prior art in patent application prosecution (http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/02/10/admissions-prior-art-patent/id=93576/).
* On February 16, 2018, Joseph Robinson and Robert Schaffer commented on The Medicines. Co. v. Hospira, Inc., 2014-1469, 2014-1504 (Fed. Cir., Feb. 6, 2018) (http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions-orders/14-1469.Opinion.2-5-2018.1.PDF). They describe how the Federal Circuit confirmed the long-understood position that an agreement to distribute goods is indeed a commercial offer regarding the on-sale bar for patentability. (http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/02/16/distribution-agreement-commercial-offer-on-sale-bar/id=93825/).
Patently-O – a blog written by Dennis Crouch – www.patentlyo.com.
* In a February 23, 2018 post, Professor Crouch announced that the Texas Supreme Court recognized a patent-agent privilege, in In re Silver, No. 16-0682 (Texas, Feb. 23, 2018) (https://cdn.patentlyo.com/media/2018/02/160682.pdf) (https://patentlyo.com/patent/2018/02/patent-agent-privilege.html).
Patent Docs – A patent blog – patentdocs.typepad.com/patent_docs.
* In the February 23, 2018 post, Donald Zuhn discussed the USPTO’s February 22, 2018 memorandum (http://patentdocs.typepad.com/files/uspto-memorandum.pdf ) clarifying written description guidance for patent applications. (http://www.patentdocs.org/2018/02/uspto-issues-memo-clarifying-written-description-guidance.html).
AIPLA – the profession’s national organization – see AIPLA.org.
* AIPLA will hold its 2018 Annual Meeting October 25-27, 2018 in Washington, D.C. More information on this meeting and other events is available at https://www.aipla.org/learningcenter/Pages/Upcoming-Meetings.aspx.
For more information about any of the patent topics mentioned consult Patent Application Practice. Trademark topics are discussed in Trademark Registration Practice. Both are published by West and updated twice a year. For patent prosecution or litigation questions, contact Fred Douglas at 949/293-0442 or by email at email@example.com.
Comments are closed.